Headquartered in Vienna, Austria, Borealis is one of the largest polyolefin producers in the world and co-owner of Borouge of Abu Dhabi.
Borealis is a leading provider of innovative solutions in the fields of polyolefins, base chemicals and fertilizers.
With its head office in Vienna, Austria, the company currently has around 6,600 employees and operates in over 120 countries.
Borealis provides services and products to customers around the world in collaboration with Borouge, a joint venture with the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC).
Building on its proprietary Borstar® and Borlink™ technologies and more than 50 years of experience in polyolefins, Borealis and Borouge support key industries with a wide range of applications in the areas of energy, automotive, pipes, consumer products, healthcare, and advanced packaging.
The Borouge 3 plant expansion made Borouge the world’s largest integrated polyolefins complex. Now fully ramped up, the additional 2.5 million tons of polyolefins capacity yield a total Borouge capacity of 4.5 million tons, and a combined Borealis and Borouge capacity of 8 million tons.
Borealis offers a wide range of base chemicals, including melamine, phenol, acetone, ethylene, propylene, butadiene and pygas, servicing a wide range of industries. Borealis also creates real value for the agricultural industry, selling approximately 5 million tons of fertilizers. Technical nitrogen and melamine products complement the portfolio with applications ranging from mono-nitrogen oxide (NOx) abatement to glues and laminates in the wood working industry.
Borealis and Borouge aim to proactively benefit society by taking on real societal challenges and offering real solutions. Both companies are committed to the principles of Responsible Care®, an initiative to improve safety performance within the chemical industry, and work to solve the world's water and sanitation challenges through product innovation and their Water for the World™ programme.
Borealis generated EUR 7.2 billion in sales revenue and a net profit of EUR 1,107 million in 2016.
Mubadala owns 64% of the company, with the remaining 36% belonging to Austria-based OMV, an integrated, international oil and gas company.
Mubadala has a long-standing relationship with its portfolio companies Borealis and OMV which has resulted in key partnership. Borouge, is a 50:50 JV between Borealis and ADNOC focused on petrochemicals manufacturing in Abu Dhabi
Other Petroleum & Petrochemicals Assets
Arab Petroleum Pipelines Company (SUMED)
The Arab Petroleum Pipelines Company, known as SUMED, is a joint venture formed in 1977 between Egyptian General Petroleum, Saudi Arabian Oil Company, three Kuwaiti companies and Qatar Petroleum.Read more about Arab Petroleum Pipelines Company (SUMED)
Compañia Española de Petróleos (CEPSA)
The world’s largest producer of LABs which serve as raw materials for the production of household essentials such as detergents and toiletries.Read more about Compañia Española de Petróleos
Cosmo Energy Holding
Cosmo Oil, based in Japan, is a fully integrated operator in the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors and one of Japan’s largest oil refining and marketing companies.Read more about Cosmo Energy Holding
Dolphin Energy, a multinational gas development and transportation initiative, is among the largest energy investments ever undertaken in the Gulf region.Read more about Dolphin Energy
Gulf Energy Maritime (GEM)
GEM is one of the leading commercial product and chemical tanker companies in the Middle East, investing in and managing modern state-of-the-art double-hull tankers designed to carry petroleum products, chemicals and other hydrocarbons.Read more about Gulf Energy Maritime (GEM)
A leading international exploration and production business, Mubadala Petroleum is building on the UAE’s hydrocarbons expertise to develop, manage and operate projects distinguished by the highest technical and safety standards.Read more about Mubadala Petroleum
Nova Chemicals Corporation (Nova Chemicals)
Petrochemical company producing ethylene, polyethylene and a range of other products and technology.Read more about Nova Chemicals Corporation (Nova Chemicals)
Oil Search Limited
Oil Search is an oil and gas exploration and development company that has been operating in Papua New Guinea (PNG) since 1929. It is PNG's largest oil and gas producer and operates all of the country’s currently producing oil and gas fields, and is the third-largest exploration company in Australasia.Read more about Oil Search Limited
Integrated international oil and gas business and Austria’s largest listed industrial company.Read more about OMV
PAK-ARAB Refinery (PARCO)
A fully integrated energy company focused on oil refining, oil and products pipeline, storage and marketing.Read more about PAK-ARAB Refinery (PARCO)